[nvo3] Is there any difference between "Network Virtualization Overlay" and "Network Overlay"?
Linda Dunbar
2013-05-31 21:49:43 UTC
Larry, et al:

In NV03 problem statement draft, "Network Overlay" is used. It is used in a context to indicate that virtualized network is achieved by IP overlay (instead of MPLS overlay, Ethernet Overlay, or TRILL overlay, etc).

In draft-kreeger-nvo3-overlay-cp-03, "Network Virtualization Overlay" is used.

Is there any difference between "Network Virtualization Overlay" and "Network Overlay"? If yes, I suggest to define them properly. If no, let's keep the terminology consistent in NVO3 WG.

NVO3 WG's charter doesn't include tackling control plane issues for all overlay models.
Therefore, it is really out of the scope to have a draft on control plane for all overlay models.

Linda
Larry Kreeger (kreeger)
2013-05-31 23:52:21 UTC
Hi Linda,

See my responses below, marked with LK>.

Thanks, Larry

From: Linda Dunbar <***@huawei.com<mailto:***@huawei.com>>
Date: Friday, May 31, 2013 2:49 PM
To: Larry Kreeger <***@cisco.com<mailto:***@cisco.com>>, Thomas Narten <***@us.ibm.com<mailto:***@us.ibm.com>>, Dinesh Dutt <***@hobbesdutt.com<mailto:***@hobbesdutt.com>>, David Black <***@emc.com<mailto:***@emc.com>>, Murari Sridharan <***@microsoft.com<mailto:***@microsoft.com>>, "***@ietf.org<mailto:***@ietf.org>" <***@ietf.org<mailto:***@ietf.org>>
Subject: Is there any difference between "Network Virtualization Overlay" and "Network Overlay"?

Linda
Eric Gray
2013-06-03 22:39:24 UTC
Agree with Larry.

Using "Network Virtualization Overlay" is just being more specific than using either overlay, or virtual
network. The meaning of the phrase is clear.

In addition, I am unsure why we necessarily want to distinguish IP overlays from MPLS overlays, as
use of MPLS as a general IP transport mechanism means it is likely that the two may functionally overlap.

--
Eric

From: Linda Dunbar <***@huawei.com<mailto:***@huawei.com>>
Date: Friday, May 31, 2013 2:49 PM
To: Larry Kreeger <***@cisco.com<mailto:***@cisco.com>>, Thomas Narten <***@us.ibm.com<mailto:***@us.ibm.com>>, Dinesh Dutt <***@hobbesdutt.com<mailto:***@hobbesdutt.com>>, David Black <***@emc.com<mailto:***@emc.com>>, Murari Sridharan <***@microsoft.com<mailto:***@microsoft.com>>, "***@ietf.org<mailto:***@ietf.org>" <***@ietf.org<mailto:***@ietf.org>>

Linda
Linda Dunbar
2013-06-04 14:46:14 UTC
In addition, I am unsure why we necessarily want to distinguish IP overlays from MPLS overlays, as
use of MPLS as a general IP transport mechanism means it is likely that the two may functionally overlap.

[Linda]When MPLS is used for IP transport, another layer of MPLS header is added to the data frame.

I would think that the reason to distinguish IP overlays from MPLS overlays is distinguish the scope of NV03 WG from L2VPN WG and L3VPN WG.

Linda
Lucy yong
2013-06-04 18:02:36 UTC
Snip...

I would think that the reason to distinguish IP overlays from MPLS overlays is distinguish the scope of NV03 WG from L2VPN WG and L3VPN WG.

[Lucy] I disagree this assessment. L2VPN and L3VPN are virtualization and overlay technologies. Although they are often deployed on IP/MPLS networks now, it is not necessary. When MPLS is not available, using mpls in GRE encapsulation, L2VPN/L3VPN can be over an IP network, which fits in the NVO3 scope.

Lucy
Linda Dunbar
2013-06-04 20:10:01 UTC
Snip...

. When MPLS is not available, using mpls in GRE encapsulation, L2VPN/L3VPN can be over an IP network, which fits in the NVO3 scope.

[Linda] That is exactly what I want to say: i.e. L2VPN/L3VPN achieved via IP encapsulation (GRE, VxLAN, etc) is in the scope of NVO3. The L2VPN/L3VPN achieved via MPLS encapsulation fits in the scope of L2VPN WG and L3VPN WG respectively.

Linda
Eric Gray
2013-06-04 20:53:09 UTC
Linda,

I could be wrong, but I think we're confusing the "scope" of the NVO3 working group with
the work that might actually get done in NVO3.

First, we need to remember that NVO3 is not currently chartered to define any solution.

It is chartered to "consider approaches to multi-tenancy that reside at the network layer"
- which certainly includes L3VPN and likely includes aspects of L2VPN that have to do with
network virtualization "at the network layer" (i.e. - over layer 3, which is how we do it).

This latter point was discussed months ago. Because we defined L2VPN, Pseudowires,
etc. here (in the IETF), if we now discover that there are compatibility (or other) issues
with using these approaches as a network virtualization technique, we have to fix those
issues here.

It is certainly within the scope of the charter for NVO3 to evaluate this.

That does not mean that the NVO3 working group would take a direct active role in fixing
issues we find with either L2VPN or L3 VPN. As I said, fixing issues isn't in NVO3's charter
in any case and fixing anything that belongs to another IETF working group is an activity
that is either unlikely in NVO3, or would be explicitly delegated to NVO3 at some future
time - as part of a re-chartering evolution.

It is very odd to try to talk now about the "scope" of a potentially re-chartered NVO3 WG
at some future date.

As for MPLS, I believe that the IETF once had a broad discussion about whether or not it
is a Network Layer thing. I believe the conclusion was that MPLS is closely tied to the
network layer (and IP in particular).

In addition to L2VPN and L3VPN as applications of MPLS, there is also Traffic Engineering.
I don't believe we have yet eliminated the potential need for traffic engineered paths in
virtual networks used for data-centers. And I doubt anyone is willing to consider using
IP explicit routing to accomplish this, in the even that it is needed.

If we limit the scope of what NVO3 needs to consider to strictly IP encapsulation we may
be dodging many the problems we've talked about in NVO3. In many cases, that might
be okay, but we don't know that at the moment...

--
Eric

Linda
Lucy yong
2013-06-04 22:26:59 UTC
IMO: "over the network layer" is another important aspect for NVO3. We want to decouple application networking from the infrastructure network.
Thus, Virtualization and Overlay are the key.

Lucy

Linda
Jon Mitchell
2013-06-07 00:48:46 UTC
On 04/06/13 20:53 +0000, Eric Gray wrote:
> I don't believe we have yet eliminated the potential need for traffic engineered paths in
> virtual networks used for data-centers. And I doubt anyone is willing to consider using
> IP explicit routing to accomplish this, in the even that it is needed.

Generally agree with your overall sentiment but just a nit - some are
willing to consider using IP explicit (not static) routing methods
(including just weighting by multiple path introduction) to acheive
non-MPLS based TE in DC's.

Jon
Eric Gray
2013-06-10 15:02:12 UTC
Jon,

I likely introduced some confusion into this by misnaming the IP option I meant to refer to
when I said "IP explicit routing" - I meant "IP Source Routing" which provides a list of IP routers to be
used in forwarding an IP packet.

In the past, this has been regarded by most as anathema because it involves manipulating
IP header information in ways that few (if any) routers are able to handle in the dataplane.

Not sure what you mean by "IP explicit (not static) routing methods."

Weighting of ECMP paths is a different thing entirely.

Sorry about the confusion...

--
Eric

Jon
Jeff Tantsura
2013-06-10 15:06:21 UTC

You might want to take a look at segment routing.

Regards,
Jeff

Jon Hudson
2013-06-05 05:48:14 UTC